The core characteristics of David Lehmann’s work lie in his unconstrained style of drawing that is free from any rules or restrictions.
“An artist should have a stance in the current political and social phenomena and perform the role with responsibility, especially against populism or far-right ideology that are prevalent in Europe these days.” – David Lehmann
David Lehmann satirizes political and social issues, and does not shy away from creating erotic imagery in ways that are both explicit and provocative; his work continuously combines and manipulates ideological philosophies, and intuitively reinterprets contemporary sensibilities. However, the themes within Lehmann’s work are not limited only to socio-political matters. The artist touches on a wide range of topics related to the human condition in an outrageous yet humorous manner, particularly combining the events and social phenomena observed in present days with scenes from history or Greek mythology. Lehmann’s work also contains spontaneous expressions, which allude to feelings and inspirations he has found in other artistic mediums – namely literature, film, and music.
- 2007 High school graduation in Cottbus
- 2009 Studied Fine Arts at the Berlin University of the Arts (UdK)
- 2014 Master class under Prof. Valérie Favre
- 2021 Puzzling Astonishment, Choi&LagerGallery Seoul
- 2017 Keep Talking Traumfänger, Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom, Potsdam
- 2016 Menschen sind Teufel und leben im Kino, Dieselkraftwerk Art Museum, Cottbus
- 2015 PARERGA UND EXIL, Galerie Fango, Cottbus
- Je suis le cinéma pluraliste!, BeeskowCastle, Brandenburg
- 2014 Regina Pistor-Preis, Berlin University of the Arts(UdK), Berlin
- Tiefenrausch, Cultural CentreofBASF, Schwarzheide